Thursday, October 3, 2013

Stop and Smell the Pumpkins

Pumpkin Bloom 2013


I just sent out the invitations to the “First Annual Harvest Celebration and Jelly-Tasting” to be held here at the Garden of Nemesis on October 12th. Hey, they have wine-tasting parties, why not jelly-tasting? Any excuse for a party.

Pumpkin Vine Climbing the Arborvitaes 2013
I have invited about fifty of my friends from near and far with an RSVP attached. So far, a half dozen have said to expect them. In the end, I’ll be very satisfied if twice that many show up. One of my gracious friends said she’d provide the waffle iron and a recipe to go with it; I intend to take her up on the offer. It’s an opportunity to share my preserves and strengthen new and old friendships over coffee and conversation.
 Still Climbing

Opening the Garden of Nemesis to the public has opened unexpected doors. I’ve met some very interesting and wise characters. I thoroughly enjoy the company of other gardeners and plant lovers. Our common bond is a love of Nature and the Earth and our eagerness to share our knowledge. We never run out of things to talk about, only the time in which to do so.

This is the time of year where most gardeners are frazzled. Housekeeping chores get put off while we weed, distribute compost, plant ground cover, wash and preserve fruits and vegetables and move tender plants inside before the frost. It’s generally a mess around here this time of year. Luckily, my friends don’t mind a few cobwebs in my less-than-perfect house; they’ve already seen the worst when they’ve unexpectedly dropped by.
Still Climbing

The main focus for this gathering is to celebrate life and friendships and abundance. Sometimes we get so caught up in our everyday toils we forget to stop and smell the pumpkins.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment