Wednesday, November 6, 2013

How I Made Quince Preserves



Step #1 Find the fruit

Back in September, I wrote about the surprise and wonder of discovering the bushes I had planted in 2002 were flowering quince and on how I wished to do a little urban foraging on the university grounds from which they came. Well, a few days ago, we did.

It was in the low fifties and spitting rain as we donned wellies and slickers. When my sweet husband asked me why we were doing this in the rain I said, “Because it’s now a choice between relatively warm rain and utter cold. We’ve already had a handful of nights in the mid-twenties and if there are quinces out there, the woods may have cooled enough to freeze them the very next time. Besides, it’s not really raining.” He raised one eyebrow.

We took along a medium-sized backpack I had lined with a tall, skinny cardboard box (in case the fruit was mushy) and several plastic grocery bags tucked into the pocket. We entered university property via a back road and drove through the woods close to the place where we remembered digging the little suckers that were to become our beautiful flowering quince bushes. Jorge interrupted my pleasant reverie with, “Let’s go to Security and let them know what we’re doing.” I told him he really knew how to take the fun out of foraging. In the end, I didn’t argue, as I didn’t want getting shot at to be Step #2 in the process of making quince preserves.

About that time, we spotted the white car with the university logo on its door. We pulled up alongside and I explained I was alumni and we were looking for quinces. I was surprised by the initial fear in his eyes and he was surprised that two nutcases wanted to get wet hunting for, what? We parked the car in a far-flung lot and took the first path that presented itself. As we entered this parallel world, I told Jorge to look back into the shrubbery for yellow globes. Goes to show you what I know.

GARDEN OF NEMESIS MAPLE TREE 2013

It wasn’t long before the trail split and narrowed and we found ourselves on a deer path. Fallen leaves were slippery underfoot as it drizzled and dripped from above. In the distance we could hear traffic, but it seemed far removed from this woodland paradise. Suddenly, we entered a maple tree colony and were bathed in buttery diffused light. We stood in silent marvel. The canopy was a ceiling of bright yellow.

In the other world of debt ceilings and government shutdowns and unemployment and random shootings and GMOs and chemtrails and nuclear waste leaking into the ocean and atmosphere…well, Mother Nature teaches us how to go on. No matter how ruthlessly and thoughtlessly her children treat her sacred gift, she keeps selflessly giving.

It wasn’t long after that when we stumbled upon the fallen crop of a quince tree, said to be not as tasty as the fruit of the quince bush. We gathered about fifty quinces that were not yellow and certainly not mushy; they were greenish yellow-brown, hard as rocks and not one was bigger than a tennis ball.
For the rest of the hike, we were reasonably satisfied our romp in the woods was not just fun, but practical. We never came across the quince bushes and the rain became soaking, so we reluctantly made our way to the car.

Upon arriving home, I immediately washed my little treasures. Did I take any photos? Sorry, I forgot in all the excitement. Now for

Step #2 Decide what to make from the fruit

I had collected several recipes from the internet, but all of them involved peeling and chopping. These things are hard and I simply wasn’t up to it, as I still had a load of apples to process. The apples, in fact, gave me the idea to make quince butter.

Step #3 Quarter the Fruit and Put it on to Boil

I used one of my good jelly pots and set the quinces to boil. After two hours, I deemed the fruit soft enough to put through the Foley Food Mill. I realize most kitchens aren’t equipped with one of these handy devices. According to E How, “A food mill is a utensil used for mashing and sieving various foods. It should be used for foods that require impeccable smoothness. The food mill outdates many of its contemporary competitors, such as the food processor or blender. Though this hand-operated kitchen tool may seem a bit archaic, it offers a quality of food that many other appliances cannot.”


Step #4 Foley Food Mill the fruit

A guy from Minnesota patented this mill in 1933 and my mother had one, which she considered very modern. I bought one at a garage sale years ago, although they’re not expensive to buy new. This food mill wastes nothing, which is handy when you have very little of the food you’re processing. It catches and sifts out seeds, cores, fibers and skin, leaving a perfectly smooth sauce. Using a blender or food processor requires you to remove unwanted pieces of produce yourself, or grind them up, so it’s a time saver in the end.

Quinces are seedier than apples, thus harder to mill and more time consuming. When I finished this task I had about three quarts of sauce.

Step #5 Put back on the stove to cook down

I used the same pot to cook down the fruit, as my other one was filled with quartered apples already cooking. Cooking down any fruit takes time and patience. Both quince and apple sauce need no pectin in order to “jell,” they are full of it. I added a few shakes of clove powder as I could always add more later to taste. I also threw in a couple cups of sugar. I added a third cup later as I determined it was not sweet enough. The burner must remain on low and this has to be stirred often. A good jelly pan will ensure it does not stick and scorch.

As it cooked, a wonderful aroma filled the house. It began to change color; it went from beige-brown to a deep, rich burgundy color. The taste was just as heavenly. It had evaporated about one third of its mass and finally sheeted off the spoon and was ready to jar.

Step #6 Jar and process

The jars and lids were hot and sterile, so I filled them with the precious quince “butter”; it yielded nine half pints. The jars went back into the canner to boil for another ten minutes. When the timer went off, I lifted the jars onto a thick towel on the counter and, with the taste of quince still in my mouth, stood for a moment to admire my work. It was good.



No comments:

Post a Comment