Friday, January 17, 2014

Adventures in Soaping




I am obsessed. Soaping is like making preserves only much more experimental. 

Re-melting lard soap
 I've grated and melted the original lard soap and to the above batch added chamomile and calendula teas and a smidgeon of honey.
Results of hand milled Chamomile and Calendula

I’ve continued along the botanical path, hand milling and adding plant material. 
Cucumber Soap
 To the above soap, I added cucumber puree I had frozen from the garden last fall. It smells great!
Carrot Soap
To the above, I added a few drops of lavender essential oil and strained carrots from the garden.
First batch of pure olive oil soap
I added nothing to this batch of olive oil soap, as I will hand mill and add botanicals. Note there was a bit of crumbling when it was cut. It sat in the mold for three days before it was dry enough to unmold. It's still very soft and must cure.

My head is swimming with ideas. I’m making small batches and taking detailed notes for later reference. The internet is great! It's been my only teacher.

1 comment: