Sunday, March 2, 2014

Everything’s Comin’ up Daisies





Gerbera Daisy
This dang daisy has noticed the longer daylight hours, but Mother Nature is ignoring that fact. Winter seems to chug on without a hiccup. The 10-Day Forecast has us at least staying above zero, with tonight as an exception.

It is Soaping Confession Time.
Soaping Disaster

Ingredients: saponified olive and coconut oils, annatto, parsley, paprika, essential oils of patchouli, lavender, grapefruit and cedar wood.

I got so busy calculating to subtract the colored oils from the recipe that I forgot to add the coconut oil. I had to melt the missing oil and add some to each of the various containers containing essential oils and colorants. Since I just couldn’t do the math, this batch is a crap shoot.

The second stupid thing I did was to add cornstarch to the bottom of the lye water BEFORE I added the water and then the lye. It cemented to the bottom of the plastic container and wouldn’t mix. Then the mixture turned into gel and I had to strain out cornstarch clumps.

I made a total of five colors from natural ingredients commonly found in any kitchen: ground parsley, annatto, turmeric, paprika and one that is a mystery, as I hadn’t labeled the jar of oil containing the herb believing I could remember what it contained. That's a joke I sometimes play on myself.

When confronted with six colors (one being the base), I became confused was at a loss as to what to do. I didn’t want to do another funnel swirl like Tequila Sunrise, so after I had added a few lines to the bottom, I flung the soap diagonally. After I had filled the mold, I did a back and forth swirl with a chopstick. I forget the name.

This was a mess to clean up and I don’t know if the separately and unevenly added coconut oil will react to the lye after the 20 minutes that had passed. Plus I don’t know about the gelled lye mixture.

Three days later, I unmolded the disaster and after a week it sits on paper towels, gradually seeping oil and still too soft to cut. The good news is, predominantly olive oil soap always seeps and is soft for a prolonged period. My fingers are crossed.
Do the Funky Chicken--wasn't that a dance?
I tried the egg mold, but my batter was too thick so the eggs are weird looking. 
 Here is the hand milled batter I have shaped into cylinders to use for embeds in landscape soap when I feel confident enough to tackle that project. These embeds aren’t perfect but I think will work.

This will be the desert "sun" in landscape soap
Whew! This soap making certainly requires stamina!



No comments:

Post a Comment