Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Herb Preparations



This week, I refreshed my supply of plantain infused virgin olive oil. I use this in personal salves, lip gloss and lotions. Recently, I've been adding this to "Extravagance" soap, along with rosemary-infused oil. All the information you could possibly want is available on the internet: images, plant properties and preparations so you can make this yourself. I wish I had someone I could apprentice to, but I've had to I learn from books and the web. Probably the most profound and ironic thing I've learned is that the "weeds" we have been taught to eradicate are the very ones most helpful to our health. I found a nice patch of plantain along a neighbor's fence in my alley.
Plantain
Then I harvested it.
Next comes washing.
Then drying, just enough to negate the washing. No need to completely dry.
I used the same jar that still had a little oil left from last year. I bruised the leaves and added them to the jar, covering them with olive oil. The jar will be turned upside down one day and right side up the next for six weeks. This process makes sure the fresh herb is always coated with oil. Some people set the jar in the sun to speed up the process, but my instincts tell me heat destroys vital constituents, so I take my time.
I also made a small jar of medicinal tincture for those winter months when fresh-picked is out of the question. This jar is also turned daily for six weeks. Tincture can also be purchased on the internet, but beware, it's very expensive!

I also harvested and set to dry catnip for stuffing little bags for indoor cats. If I harvest enough, I may put these for sale on bechardsbotanicals.com.

Sorry, I’ve no new soap pics for this week as haven’t had time to make even one batch of soap!

No comments:

Post a Comment