Friday, December 13, 2013

Bloodroot




When the crocus peek their lovely heads above the ground the Bloodroot is already blooming. It’s the first plant to bloom and always a welcome sight. I vaguely remember “temporarily” placing the bare roots in the ground between the path and the pump base and estimate it must have been a half dozen years ago. About all I did right was to give it some shade. What I enjoy about this plant
is that after the ground-hugging flowers are gone, it puts out interesting leaves. 

Bloodroot

 Bloodroot is an endangered species and used in herbal medicine in “very small doses, mainly for bronchial problems and severe throat infections. The root is used in many pharmaceuticals, mixed with other compounds to treat heart problems, dental applications  and to treat migraines. Bloodroot paste is used externally for skin diseases, warts, and tumors. For ringworm apply the fluid extract. Bloodroot is said to repel insects.” In other words, I accidentally (instinctively?) planted what I thought was simply a beautiful plant that I now know I can use for medicinal purposes. There is a “CAUTION” attached to Bloodroot as it contains toxic opium-like alkaloids and an over dose can be fatal. It’s not something you want to eat when browsing in the garden.

Bloodroot leaves (between hose and bridge)


No comments:

Post a Comment