Monday, December 30, 2013

Wild Garlic Narrative

Wild Garlic Raising Lovely Heads


In the spring of 2012, I noticed a raised brown spot on my right cheek. I’ve been growing them pretty regularly all over my body this last decade. This one was prominent and ugly and in-your-face and I didn’t want to keep it.I had read where garlic cures skin cancer, so I deducted that if it could do that, surely it could cure a little old benign brown spot. It was May, and the wild garlic was getting tall. I took a stem and cut it open lengthwise and placed it on the spot. I used a piece of clear packing tape to hold it in place.

Of course, I had to explain to everyone I saw why I was walking around with a green glob smooshed under packing tape on my face. They alternately laughed, scoffed and suggested I see a doctor to have the offending blemish removed (or to have my head examined!). Meanwhile, I replenished the garlic with a fresh, juicy piece trice daily and slept uncomfortably with the thing for six nights. I noticed the spot was rising daily and worried I might be feeding its growth. On the seventh day, the top of the spot fell off when I was changing the “bandage”. Under it was my smooth cheek with brown discoloration still present.

Two more days of garlic application and the whole thing had disappeared. My detractors looked upon this phenomenon with awe, as did I. I was relieved not have to “treat” this thing anymore and very happy to be free of the sweat-producing packing tape. Have I done any more experiments with garlic application to my skin? No. Have I tried store-bought garlic? No. However, I vow that when the wild garlic comes up next spring I’ll try just applying the juice (no packing tape) whenever I’m in the garden. I’ll pick a few select spots and never mind the aroma of the garlic’s perfume. I want to see what will happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment