Sunday, October 23, 2016

Sammie’s Early Morning Company




Autumn Garden
Sammie had a visitor the other morning. The problem was that he soon became a porch-bound marsupial. Our kitty has a rather complicated entrance to the house, which has been modified through the years in an attempt to limit her visitors and cold winter winds.

She knows to enter under the deck, squeeze through a narrow opening in the wooden box (just big enough for her narrow Russian Blue body) and nudge the casement window open to skitter down the step ladder. This method has eliminated most adult cats, all dogs, raccoons and woodchucks. But not adolescent opossums.

Sammie's Entrance
The little guy got into the wooden box and didn’t know how to open the inside door. Sammie came and “told” me in her own unique language that she had a problem in the basement. I followed her down and saw this:

Stuck!
Sorry the photo is blurred, but it was the best of 20 pics!

4 comments:

  1. At first glance it looked like a character from childhood animation series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor, poor baby. So kind of your kitty to alert you to the dilemma. I imagine both the possum and the kitty were fearful. Hope everything ended well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I was waiting for sweet husband to remove the skirting from the deck so I could get under there to release the little guy, I went back down after about an hour and he was gone! He must've figured out he could get out the same way he had gotten in. I'm sure it was a tight fit. Then I unlocked the inside door, which I had locked to prevent him from accidentally entering the basement. Had he come in, he wouldn't have been able to see the step ladder and would have fallen to the basement floor. There's never a day where I don't observe some sort of wildlife here in my urban garden home.

    ReplyDelete