Friday, January 2, 2015

Soap Kitchen Escapades


Buttercup and Babycakes

 Well, the holidays are over and the fairy dust is settling. The soap kitchen has been bustling as in late November I made my first batch of Rose Body Butter. Today I made batch #4, as it has been the most popular single product I've made. I guess we're all dry and itchy this winter.

Melting Shea butter

Beginning to whip body butter
Ingredients: Sweet almond oil, beeswax, coconut oil, water, Shea butter, sodium borate, beet root, madder root and essential oil.
Yummy, Yummy
What I've learned about making body butter is that the recipe must be put together in a particular order for the final product to be smooth and creamy. This is a very heavy moisturizer that initially feels greasy but will penetrate the skin within about fifteen minutes. It will leave the most desiccated skin velvety soft.
Lots of fun inside

This is a photo of Bechard's Botanicals convenient "Browse and Sniff Box". It's stuffed full of soaps and skin care creations that I deliver to potential clients. They get to keep the free surprise gift inside and shop at home in their leisure time. It's been a big hit for local customers.

Aside from making out-of-stock soaps, the latest production for our little business is "Dream Pillows". Sweet husband and I have worked on this in fits and starts and have decided to set all else aside the next week and get some of these ready and on the website. Tomorrow is the day the first model will be ready for testing. Last summer I grew a lot of mugwort that I've dried, cleaned and bagged. I have some swatches of fabric cut and ready to sew. As luck would have it, my mother-in-law taught her son the fine art of sewing. I didn't fully appreciate his talents until a few years ago when he was making his own designed kites. Working with that slippery stuff would have made me barmy, but he completed several projects perfectly. He loves it when I tell him to go fly a kite!

Maybe by next week we can put the Dream Pillows on the website. Check out our soap making videos at bechardsbotanicals.com.

1 comment:

  1. Your package arrived in good condition and timely. I am so excited to try your soaps. Love, love the rose butter. It smells wonderful!
    Crybaby followed me from the front door and through the apartment until I sat down to open the package. She knew there was a catnip treat for her. Thank you so much. Can't wait to try all of your scents.

    Pam Claussen
    IOWA

    ReplyDelete