Friday, June 28, 2013

Critters


In the same way we like certain plants and reject others that we call weeds, we are particular about what critters wander in our urban gardens. Many animals are drawn to the Garden of Nemesis because there is ample water. Last year, we had a nice little family of opossums. Unfortunately, the poor mother had a time keeping her young ones alive. One morning I jumped a foot when I saw one in the bottom of the pond. Another morning I found a young one on the path, dead of unknown causes. The third one disappeared. It was time to relocate the mom. We ingeniously used an animal trap, using cat food as the bait. Look what we caught the first morning.

I imagine Arthur was pretty excited to find the cat food so conveniently located for his midnight prowl. Then he got scared and really, really mad when he discovered he was trapped. We’re talking kitty post-traumatic stress disorder.

The second night we caught the right animal, who took a nice ride out of the city.

2 comments:

  1. Arthur? Really? How funny. I had a cat I named Martha. I have known someone who named their dog, Bob.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you're following my teeny, tiny writing career, Pam. Actually, I call the cat "Baby". Only Jorge calls him Arthur.

    ReplyDelete