Wednesday, June 26, 2013

These are a Few of My Favorite Things



Wild, Wild Dill

I love dill. It’s not just for pickles and potato salad and chip dip. It’s for sniffing and the simple beauty of itself. It grows wild on the front terrace, in the flower beds and amongst the potatoes. It re-seeds itself year after year, hurling up its graceful umbrellas rain or shine.
Bee Balm

Bee balm, aka Monarda, aka Bergamont, blooms red, purple, pink or white. I seem to have the best luck with the pink. In addition to being a perennial, it will re-seed. Native Americans used it as an antiseptic and placed poultices containing the plant on wounds to cure or prevent infections. By accident, I found another use for bee balm. I noticed that when this plant from the mint family grows next to beans, the Japanese beetles stay off the vegetable. I make sure my hands are covered with the scent when I pick, further enhancing the effect.


Black-eyed Susan            
This is another beautiful plant that has medicinal properties. Some say it works even better than Echinacea (coneflower) when it comes to stimulating the immune system. I have no first-hand knowledge, as I have never used sweet Susan as medicine. It’s on my list. Meanwhile, I’ll enjoy her flowers this summer. This fall, I intend to find an older plant and harvest the root to make a tincture.

Calendula

Calendula, aka pot marigold, is grown from seed. Many years ago, I started a few of these and now they grow “volunteer” all over the property. If it was once a hybrid, it’s morphed into an old-fashioned heirloom. Calendula’s specialty is treating skin conditions. I make a tea and soak a soft towel to place over allergic eyes. The itch instantly goes away. I’ve even used an eyedropper to wash my eyes with calendula tea. Sure beats those pricy and stinging eye drops my eye doctor recommended! I’ve also made a medicine for irritated skin by covering the petals soaked in a jar with olive oil. Any oil will do, but I always have extra virgin olive oil on hand. Let this sit for two weeks, strain and voila! Check on the internet for culinary recipes using calendula. By the way, the flowers are amazing and all summer-long.

No comments:

Post a Comment