Sunday, June 9, 2013

On Keeping a Garden Journal


I started to keep a little garden journal in 2002. It was a pretty book with a cottage on the cover and I jotted a few notes about the veggies. I bought a similar journal in 2003, but it was becoming evident I didn’t have enough space to write what I felt was important. By 2006 I was using the journals for reference and it was obvious my system needed revising, as each book had to be thumbed through to get to the month I was looking for.
I decided to use three-ring binders, one for each month, with the pages in plastic protectors so I could add pages as needed. I combined Oct/Nov/Dec and Jan/Feb/March. Aside from that, each month has its own notebook. Now when I make entries in June, for example, I have at my fingertips every June since 2006.

In my garden journal, I began to add details such as fence, pergola or porch building and repairs and painting, trips we took and visits from friends and family. I also record any event that impacts my thoughts and feelings and philosophical notions as they come into my consciousness.

Now I have a record of not just the weather, new plants, planting and harvesting and personal and world events, but my inner landscape. I can easily see where I have grown and developed alongside the Garden of Nemesis. I like it because it is my record and if I don’t want to add a comma or form a complete sentence I don’t have to. It’s usually abbreviated and sometimes almost illegible. Sure, I could write and print out my entries via the computer, but for some reason it’s more personal to scribble them.

These journals may someday be a puzzle for my children or grandchildren to piece together to maybe get to know a side of their ancestor they never suspected existed.

No comments:

Post a Comment